Babies start to eat solid food around four to six months, and choosing the right food can be a daunting task. There are so many options to choose from, and it’s hard to know what to look for. We wanted to create this list to help narrow down the options and make sure you find products to help your baby grow big and strong.
Milk or formula contains enough nutrients for babies the first six months of their life, but as they get older, they need help boosting their nutrition as their body continues to grow. It is essential to offer your baby milk before solid food to ensure that milk is their number one source of food until they turn one.
You can introduce solids when your baby is about double their birth weight, or they start to seem unsatisfied by milk alone. You can also look for things like holding their own head up or being able to sit on their own. Starting with easy to eat food like the ones on this list is important to make sure they can easily swallow.
When making this list, we considered ingredients, taste, and most importantly, the nutritional value of each food on the list. The food on our list is for parents that want to make their own baby food but don’t have the time. We chose organic options that were not filled with additives or unnecessary fillers, which reduce the nutritional value.
Serenity Kids is a unique brand that offers high protein food for your little ones to enjoy. They offer four meat flavored options which include Beef, Chicken, Uncured Bacon, and Salmon as well as a variety of vegetable options. There are not a lot of baby food brands that offer meat options without using fillers like rice or beans. Other companies only provide fruit or vegetable flavored foods because they think that they are the best first food for babies. Those foods are often full of unnecessary amounts of sugar.
- There are no preservatives added to this food. It can sit on the shelf because the pouches go through a process where they are passed through high heat.
- All of the vegetables are non-GMO (genetically modified organism) and certified organic.
- Serenity Kids is one of the only companies to use organic meat without using a filler such as beans, rice, or oats.
- During the heating process, the vegetables lose some of their nutrient quality.
- Serenity Kids products are a little more expensive than other brands on this list because they use high-quality organic ingredients.
- Opened pouches must be consumed within 24 hours unless they have been put in the freezer.
NuturMe is a fantastic option for children with sensitive stomachs. In fact, they are known as “ The Tummy Friendly Brand.” All of their food is easily digestible and gluten-free. Their products are filled with superfruits, super greens, and super grains so your children will consume the recommended amount of nutrients from each meal without harmful ingredients. They are gluten-free, soy-free, egg-free, and dairy-free. Their goal is to teach children to eat healthy foods from a young age in hopes that it continues throughout their life.
– NuturMe is the perfect choice for babies with sensitive stomachs.
– Each product is gluten-free and certified organic.
– Each pouch has the same probiotics that are found in yogurt.
– None! We are having a hard time coming up with any because this product is very healthy.
Peter Rabbit organics are known for their simple recipes. Each flavor was thoughtfully planned out with fruits and vegetables that go well together, which is nice because then your kids will actually enjoy eating it. These products are non-GMO, free from ascorbic acid, and made with organic fruits and vegetables. Sometimes baby food is watered down, but that is not the case with this product. There are no additives or other fillers that make it look like you are getting more food than you actually are. Another unique thing about this product is that the packaging is BPA free, so you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals leaking into the food.
- The Peter Rabbit brand baby food can be bought in many stores nationwide, so it should be pretty easy to find.
- All of the ingredients are high quality and certified organic by the USDA.
- Each pouch equals one serving and contains no cholesterol, no saturated fats or trans fats.
- Peter Rabbit Organics might not be found in your local grocery store.
4. Pure Spoon Baby Food
Pure Spoon baby food is the perfect choice for parents that want to make their own baby food but don’t have enough time. Each bowl was handmade, and that shines through in the quality of the food. Eleven different fruit and vegetable options were designed by award-winning chef Daphne Oz. All ingredients used to make these delicious purees are gluten and allergen-free and certified organic. Other brands tend to add supplements and other filler ingredients to reinforce the nutrients, but you don’t have to worry about that with Pure Spoon.
- Pure Spoon baby food was created by a chef that focused on flavors that go well together.
- Each order is made by hand with only the best quality ingredients.
- Every single batch is made by order which means that it is incredibly fresh.
- Pure Spoon is not pasteurized with intense heat, so all of the fruits and vegetables still have most of their nutrients.
- They taste good straight out of the fridge or warmed up in the microwave.
- It is best if your order online, so you will have to make sure that you stay on top of how much of the product you have left because you can’t just run to the store and buy more if you want it to be made fresh.
Yumi is a brand that offers unique baby food created by a team of doctors. Each product is tailored for your baby and their specific needs. You have to order online and fill out a bunch of questions to determine how many times your baby eats per day and then you can pick if you want the variety pack or if you want the starters. All of this is explained more in-depth on the website, and it’s straightforward to follow. Each smoothie is made with superfoods that not only taste amazing but are also really good for your baby as well.
- You order the food on a subscription basis, so you can fill out the questions once and then you don’t have to think about it again until you want to change your order or cancel the subscription.
- Yumi was made by a group of doctors so you can be sure that its good for your baby.
- Yumi is not found in stores. It’s only available to purchase online.
- It can be a little expensive because all of the ingredients are organic and made specifically for your child.
Gerber is a famous baby food brand that has been a household name for many years. They offer fifty different organic flavors to choose from, so your baby will never get tired of the same old flavors. Gerber Organics are never made with extra starch which is an added bonus, and they are certified organic as well. Gerber conducted a study that showed that kids aren’t meeting the recommended amount of vegetables, whole grains, potassium, and vitamin D, so they set out to make food that meets all of those areas and more. You can read all about the clean field farming on their website. All of the ingredients used are GMO-free and very high quality.
- Gerber Organic baby food covers a wide variety of flavors.
- They grow all of their own fruits and vegetables, so they can assure you that their products are made with the freshest ingredients.
- Gerber Organics can be found in a wide variety of retailers.
- The baby food has been pasteurized with intense heat to increase shelf life.
- Some of the recipes include pureed fruits and vegetables instead of using the whole product so that decreases some of the nutrients that can be found in the entire fruit or vegetable.
Plum Organics offer food for your baby through different stages of their first year of life. As your baby grows, their needs change, and so does this baby food. All of the food is unsalted, unsweetened, and lightly cooked, so the fresh ingredients do not lose any of their nutrients. The stage one food is the perfect way to introduce your little ones to solid foods without overwhelming their developing pallet. The stage two foods are for babies 6 months or older, and they are made with a mix of fruits and vegetables and other grains and yogurts. The stage three food was created to help your baby transition from baby food to actual table food. These blends are more intense in flavor and overall texture.
- Plum Organics baby food has been designed to grow with your baby.
- They are made with simple ingredients and no additives.
- Plum Organics can be found at a few different big retailers so it should be easy to find.
- Plum organics donate food to families that are in need.
- Plum Organics are more expensive than some of the other brands on this list.
- Some of the stage two food has ascorbic acid and lemon juice added for extra flavor.
- Some of the stage one food seems like it has been watered down.
Earths Organic baby food can grow with your baby. The food comes in stage one, which is recommended for babies that are at least four months old. They also offer stage two baby food that is good for babies that are six months of age. Their goal is to keep their recipes simple so that they don’t overwhelm the pallet with intense flavors. They want each product to be as organic as possible to provide your baby with what they need to grow.
- It is best consumed at room temperature, which makes it easy to travel with.
- They have a whole team of experts researching which ingredients are the best for babies to consume.
- They buy their products locally to make sure that they are as fresh as possible.
- This food can be found in stores, and it is reasonably priced.
- The texture of Earth’s Best Organic is a little too intense for some children.
- Some of the food is watered down.
- They do not recommend freezing the food, so you won’t be able to keep it long.
Happy Tot Organic baby foods are made with superfoods. They are an excellent choice for babies with a lot of food allergies because all of the products are peanut-free, fish and shellfish free, gluten-free, dairy, and egg-free. The website has an allergy filter, so you can see which foods are perfect for your baby. Your baby will be able to get the daily recommended amount of fruits and vegetables in one pouch of this food. Your babies need to eat lots of protein and fiber as well to help their growing bodies.
- Happy Tot Organic is perfect for babies that are picky eaters because their recipes were designed to be simple and tasty.
- This food was made with non-GMO products and is 100% organic.
- This company does all they can to make their products with the earth in mind. All products are packaged with reusable and recycled products.
- This company was founded by a mom, so you know that you will be getting food that you would approve of.
- None! We are having a hard time coming up with one because this product is good for your baby and good for the environment.
10. Ella’s Kitchen
Ella’s Kitchen was created by a father that wanted to make sure that his daughter could eat the best food possible. His goal is to make food that tastes good but also allows him to do good for local communities by giving back. There are many different tasty options for your babies to enjoy. They have fruit smoothies, textured meals and fruit, and veggie combos. These products are certified organic by the USDA.
- Ella’s Kitchen provides excellent options for babies that need a special diet because they have gluten-free, lactose-free, and vegetarian options.
- Ella’s Kitchen offers many different flavors options so you will find one that your baby will love.
- Ella’s Kitchen pouches cannot be put in the freezer, or the texture of the product will change, and ingredients will separate.
- The price is a little higher than other brands because a lot of extra work goes into making these fresh and with the best ingredients possible.
- They do not have a dedicated facility for their products, so the products may have come into contact with one of the main allergens during production.